Friday, October 5, 2007

Understanding the Adult Connection

Just over a year ago Richard and I bought a house together. We made a very conscience decision to only buy items for our home when we found the perfect piece. This has lead to quite a few rooms lacking the pieces we need to finish them but we figure we've got loads of time, a lifetime really, to find the perfect pieces.

Yesterday we finally made some inroads in bedroom furniture. Our master bedroom is too small for a bedroom set and we're not really in to the matchy-matchy bedroom look so we held off on purchasing items for that room. We managed to find and agree on bedside tables recently so as of yesterday we now officially own some.

Why does this matter you ask?!

It matters because this random Pier One purchase has made me feel more like a real adult than any other purchase Richard and I have made over the last couple of years. Even buying our house didn't make me feel like this.

I have never in my life owned a bedside table. Let alone matching bedside tables! I always had a dresser beside my bed to throw my books on. When I was young I had a childs room complete with the stuffed animals and the trophies from sports camp; away at school I had a university students room with the messy computer desk and the James Bond "To Russia With Love" poster on the wall; and for the last two years Richard and I have shared a room that has been a mish-mash of our previous lives. Yesterday our bedroom started to come together. It is incredible how bedside tables create some cohesion in an otherwise disorganized room. I can see our bedroom coming together. Give us another year, we'll have purchased all the pieces we want and our room will be the vision I am currently having, and that day I will walk through the doors of our bedroom and into adulthood.

No comments: