Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Throne Speech, Liberals Playing Politics and a Bemused Kate....

The Conservative minority government had designated this evenings vote a confidence motion, meaning its defeat would have triggered an election. And to that end the Conservative Throne Speech passed much to my chagrin....

(Anyone who knows me notes my inability to refer to Mr. Harper as Prime Minister...he will always be Mr. Harper to me!)

Conservative MPs rose in the House of Commons in support of the speech, the Bloc Québécois and NDP members stood in opposition, while Liberal MPs all remained seated. The motion passed by a vote of 126 to 79.

I must admit I am quite displeased with what I see happening in the Canadian House of Commons. The Conservatives and the Liberals are playing politics. By making the Throne Speech a confidence motion Stephen Harper is attempting to bully the Liberal party into saying the Conservatives are the official government. And well they are not! They are a minority government and continue to require the help of other parties to govern. The Liberal members by abstaining from the vote are attempting to make a statement, a weak statement I must add. They are attempting to say "we are powerful as a whole, we matter, and we won't take this sitting down" and ha-ha they are sadly! The Liberal party doesn't have the strength, doesn't have the leadership (or rather the leader hasn't shaped up the way the party was hoping) and plain and simple they don't have the polling numbers.

I'm sad because I was hoping for a Fall election (this fall!!), and now it doesn't even look like a spring election will be happening. If things continue to play out in this manner we'll be lucky to see an election next fall!

No comments: