Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In Light of Family Birthdays

(Tomorrow is my Father's birthday so this post is a tribute to him and my family.)

I am a member of a tight-knit, well-oiled, loud, boisterous, wonderful family. I love each and every member of my family dearly and passionately. Trite maybe - but I am shaped by their existence, I am loved by each and everyone of them, and that knowledge makes my days a little a little easier and my step a little lighter.

My Father is the kindest man I know. He is generous, sincere and has room in his heart for all. He has taught me to be true to my word, to work hard and trust openly. I inherited my sensitive nature from him; I cherish that. I cry easily, I love deeply, and do everything I can to share my best with everyone. I really can't think of a better gift he could have given me.

My Mother is the bravest woman I know. She is calm, incredibly capable and fun (some might find it strange that I use the word fun as one of my Mom's defining characteristics, but that's what she is - she has a lightness of heart that always make her "fun" to be around). My Mom has been through a lot (especially in recent months) and through it all she has continued to be the rock of our family, immediate and extended, she reinforces in me the desire to be calm in stressful situations, the willingness to experience new things and the ability to be open to new approaches.

My Sister is the smartest woman I know. She is intelligent, articulate, and generous. My Sister is my mentor; I covet (although I know I shouldn't) her all-around "abilities". I strive to be half the debater, the professional, the generous, loyal, loving woman that she is. Someday I hope my big sister will be half as proud of me as I am of her.

My Brother-In-Law is the most ambitious man I know. He is dedicated, thoughtful and witty. He and my Sister make a good team, together they are what the general public might refer to as a "power couple". I admire his ability to persevere through all obstacles; his perseverance is what makes him the thoughtful, funny, fun man that he is.

My Brother is the most loyal man I know. He is spiritual, loving and truly knows who he is (something I find hard to come by in your average 28 year old bachelor)! I admire his honesty, his willingness to take care of any child that comes his way - known and unknown, met in the park that day - and I admire his unwavering dedication to those he loves.

My Richard is the the most thoughtful man I know. He is wise beyond his years, funny as hell and as kind as my father. I am lucky to have met him, I am lucky to share my life with him, I am lucky to be able to introduce him and include him in my wonderfully imperfect family.

And that's what we are - so wonderfully imperfect and perfect all at the same time. I am grateful that each of them have helped shape the woman I am and I hope with all my heart they are proud of me like I am of them.


1 comment:

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

This was very sweet. I understand Im beyond lucky, and have the best family in the entire world.