Friday, February 1, 2008

For the Book-Lovers Out There

I was inspired by a blogging-friend to share my favourite authors, whom I am loving right now, and whom I love in general....

So here goes.....

1) Jhumpa Lahiri - I love everything about her writing, it's so evocative and crisp. I really enjoyed the Namesake, and the movie which came out this past year is the best book to movie adaption I have ever seen.

2) Maeve Binchy and J.K. Rowlings - These two authors I lump together because they are my guilty pleasures! I was incredibly happy with how Rowlings tied up the series...personally I think Binchy hasn't been on her "A" game for the past couple of books, but her earlier work I can read over and over and over and over...some favourite are "Quentins", "Tara Road" and "The Copper Beech".

3) Lori Lansens - This author is from my hometown so I have a kinship with her novels, they extoll the "virtues", shall we say, of rural Ontario. I love the way she writes, the honesty and integrity of her stories. Check out her debut novel "Rush Home Road" or "The Girls". I promise they won't dissapoint.

4) Kazuo Ishiguro - "Never Let Me Go" has become one of my all-time favourite books. Haunting, errily touching, and lord did it ever make me think about life and what I want to leave behind for future generations.

5) And cause she rocks like it's 1999 - Jen Lancaster is the last author on my list. "Bitter is the New Black", "Bright Lights, Big Ass" made me laugh like no other book ever has. I CAN NOT wait for "Such a Pretty Fat".

No comments: