Monday, April 14, 2008

To Smelly....

Many moons ago - 22 years ago to be exact - I made a friend. We were five, we met in kindergarten, her hair was white like snow, and she didn't have trouble understanding my childhood lisp.

In grade four, five of us were separated from the rest of our friends, placed in a split grade 4-5 class. We became misfits, bonded together through what seemed to be our adversity.

She became my solace, a safe place, a friend like no other, the friend who helped me organize the un-organizable closet, the friend who taught me (and encouraged my Dad to do the same) how to laugh at myself, to not take things so seriously, the friend who always understood when to push to when to back off.

She's getting married soon, and I couldn't be happier for this woman who has meant so many things to me over the years. She was the childhood friend who understood my geeky appeal, she was the high school friend who always stood up for me....

We didn't go to the same university, but even that span of four years was peppered with laughter, and summer trips, late nights at the beach, Sex and the City marathons, singing (or was it screaming) "Don't Turn Off the Lights" by Enrique on long car rides....

Be married, be blessed, know you're loved...and when you're back we'll continue this journey with tea and dessert, wine, good food, delicious tales and more laughter than you can imagine....

Hugs,
Buddy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ahhh jeez...you're making me cry into my Frosted Flakes!

Thanks Kate :)