Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Thud

For the last two years I have been working in the non-profit industry on a very important (or at least in my mind) project. I have loved every second of the work I've done and the team I have had the pleasure of working with.

As of this past Friday I am out of work. I'm laid off. We need a major "partner" to move forward and the logical "partner" isn't moving quickly. So without that guarantee our small project office has had to downsize. We've gone from 3 to 1. My boss, my wonderful, thought provoking, supportive boss (the best boss and mentor I have ever had) is the only one left. He's trying to get the "partner" on board.

I have been aware of the project's reality since I started working there but it doesn't make the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach go away. The first few days of the layoff seemed like a vacation; it doesn't feel like a vacation anymore. I am loving watching Martha (mmm sweet potato gnochhi) but I would love more to know that the "partner" has come on board. I know how important this project is to the community; I have worked so hard to see this get done and it hurts my heart that the project is stalled. I have always hated being stuck in a sense of limbo and that's the best way to describe where the project is - project limbo.

I wish I knew the best way to move forward myself...what to do next...but right now I am sad; the thud didn't feel so great (I know thanks captain obvious, right?). Any thoughts? Insight? Advice? Would be much appreciated...

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That is such a disappointment. Both for you personally, as well as the entire community! Hopefully all your hard work has not been in vain, and the project will get back on track shortly.
In any case, I support you %100!
XOXO

J R said...

I found your blog!

I've been laid off, although mine was end of contract so I can't relate in the same extent. I do work for the Employment Action Centre, so if you have any questions you can email me at work (just let me know if you want that email address).

Anyway, I can speak to the being on EI thing. I took advantage of it as much as possible. The time off, that is. I did all sorts of things that I didn't have time to do because work was from 9 - 5. I went on short roadtrips (while being ready and willing to work), I went to appointments that I wasn't able to do before (hello Nutritionist!), made a HELL of a lot of things using all my craft stash. Visited family. Cooked. Cleaned (well, maybe not so much as I should have). I did as much as I could - made lemonade with the lemons of being unemployed. And then i went to Ireland for two months!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies!! I appreciate the support...so very much.