Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Experimental Book Club

I gave up on my blog.

While I love writing, I was finding it so incredibly difficult to find motivation and write authentic pieces. Seeing that authenticity has always been so important to me, I stopped when I felt I was finding nothing but banality in my heart.

I needed time to revisit my motivation for writing. I needed to understand why I was doing this. And really came up with only one reason. I want to share what my passion, in all its wonderfully geeky wholesomeness, is.

So to that end…

I love books. Always have, always will. I love delving into a good read in the comfiest corner of the house with a cozy blanket and a couple hours for me and my “friend”.

And I have always wanted to have a book club that’s meaningful to me. I want to share the books I love with all the people in my life that love reading like I do.

So I am starting an online book club, so that no matter where you live, how far away you are from me, you can be a part of my awesome book club and join in the conversation. Hopefully interspersed within the postings about the club I'll manage to share something witty and engaging (generally focused on my secondary loves...politics, wine, photography, food, design, fashion) here and there.

This is how it’s going to work.

We vote on the books below

1) The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
2) The Art of Racing in the Rain by Gath Stein
3) Sanctuary Line by Jane Urquhart

Voting ends Sunday July 24th at 7:00 pm EST. I will post the winning book, along with a themed snack and a matching wine on Monday July 25th (participate in the foods if you so wish)!

We then meet back here, on Monday August 22nd at 7:00 pm EST, to have a conversation via the comment section on the blog.

Bear with me, this first month is intended to be a test. I don’t know how the conversation will work out doing it all via the comments section. If it doesn’t work I will refine for next month, give a new discussion method a chance. But maybe the hosting the discussion on the comments section will work out just fine. I have my fingers crossed!

Fire any questions my way! Here's to hoping some of you like the concept and give my experiment a whirl! Now vote!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Paris Wife has my vote!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I love this, I've been wanting to read Paris Wife!

Jackie said...

I'm in. The Paris Wife & Art of Racing... are the ones that caught my eye.

Unknown said...

So happy people are interested! So far the voting is looking pretty straight forward...if it ends up a tie, I figure I'll just cast the tie-breaking vote.

Tara said...

Hi Kate...this is a great idea. The only problem is that I will need more lead time if I am going to participate because I will have to order the book online and wait a couple of weeks before I get it, then actually read it. So....if I can't participate this time, maybe next time.