Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Stevie Wonder = Prozac?

So Richard and I were on the highway in some brutal weather with over-zealous transports blowing by us and cars, we would have loved to have seen pulled over by the police, using the 401 as their personal closed-track. Driving in weather like that, with drivers so careless makes me decidedly anxious. I know Richard doesn’t care for it either so it was time to plug in the iPod for a little distraction.

Music is always a great way for me to pass the time, I get lost in “good” music, with it an hour trip feels like 15 minutes. This weekend I needed it simply to ignore the obnoxious drivers making me feel as though my life was in their hands. So we sang along at the top of our lungs, and as a whole enjoyed ourselves very much. We sang along to some Weezer, and some Counting Crows…and then my man Stevie came on and it was like the storm clouds parted and the rain had stopped, I sang “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” like my life depended on it and my mood lifted, I didn’t notice the cars around us, and it felt like we were on an open road with the sun shining and no cars or trucks in sight.

Yesterday’s road trip made me think about the healing qualities of music. Stevie Wonder is special to me, an uncle introduced me to his music as a child, on such a simple level I appreciated his joy then and now I appreciate his talent, his abilities, his gift as an adult. So much has been said and written about his genius so I won’t even bother trying to write about it here. But I will say that Stevie Wonder’s music makes me happier than the perfect pair of jeans ever could, happier than receiving a perfectly poured pint of cider, even happier than spicy tuna rolls make me. The smile his music brings to my face is the smile of a blissfully contented adult enjoying one of life’s most simple joys.

Thank you Stevie Wonder for being my mood-enhancer!



No comments: